18 - The Logo

The current logo of this blog.
As most of you have probably seen, my profile picture on my social networking profiles (and other online profiles) has always been this logo with a letter "G" in it. That logo is actually my favorite logo, and it is the logo of my favorite album, Girls' Generation's "Girls & Peace." Despite its title, it had really great tracks which I have come to love over the years. Reflection and Not Alone are two of my favorite songs in the album. The album also gives me a sort of a "nostalgic feeling" because it was released in 2012. I listened to some of the tracks in the album for the first time in 2012 and it made me feel as if I was in Japan or something. It gave me a weird, but great, feeling while I was playing some of the songs whilst playing Wipeout Pulse (the game is not related to the Wipeout TV show). In general, anything that reminds me of 2012 is a good thing.

Anyway, as for the logo, my interest in it slowly started to grow over time. I was fascinated by the letter "G" and its striking resemblance to the wing of an airplane. The ring around it was elegant as hell and it looked like an orbit, as if the "G" in the logo looked like it had rings. All in all, the logo matched the theme of the album—airports.



And if there is one thing you should know about me is that I LOVE AIRPORTS. Airports are, to me, a way to another place, it is where you go in order to get to somewhere far. Ever since I was a child, I have always loved airplanes, aviation, and airports. Truth be told, I have only been to two airports my whole life: the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and the airport we used when we had to travel to Singapore (I was—more or less—5 years old at that time).

All of those things combined made me want to use the logo as my profile picture. So, I downloaded a PNG version of the album cover, opened it in Photoshop, used the magic wand tool, added a glow effect on it, added a white overlay on it, and I used some sort of gray-dark gradient on the background. The result was this:



I was not that good in Adobe Photoshop back then, so I am sorry if you think the logo looks badly butchered onto a good-looking background (which I might consider using in the future). Over time, my "skills" in Photoshop slowly improved. I learned how to use the pen tool and I used it to design the next logo by tracing from different sources. And then, I learned how to color the ring and the inner G differently. Which eventually led to my next iteration of the logo:



With the improvement of my skills in PS, the logo slowly went through different changes and the design started to be more and more complex. I would love to explain more about this story but, for now, I will just show you the evolution of the GG logo that I used. I will see you all next time.


The current design of the logo. The ring is now thinner yet the letter G remains intact. A multicolored background is now used.

Popular Posts

30 - The End

7 - Repeating the Same Mistakes

12 - Character