5 - Writing a Novel

What is up, readers? I have some exciting news for you all in this post (:

Judging from the title, you could clearly see that I am writing a novel, and no, it is not an assignment, nor it is an activity I should do for my midterm or finals. It is something that I want to make, it will be a work of passion—a burning desire for writing and sharing out my thoughts.

Because it is something I thought of and I will do on my own, the process of making it is going to be great. No criteria, no rules, no "this should have a minimum of this and that" and it will be a work of pure and unrestricted art. Since I will be doing this own, I do not have a general direction for my upcoming novel. That is good and bad at the same time; good because it can be whatever I want it to be—whether it is a dark comedy, an inspiring story, a romance novel, or something else; not having a general direction is also bad because I have to set everything for the novel—the language, setting, main theme, genre, and a lot more.

I just want to say, for now, that I am planning it to have, at the very least, 500 pages. It is going to be my most concise and well-written work. I am also planning to release it around October or November, if I manage to free up a lot of time on my schedule, I will be able to release it at an earlier date.

Oh, and since I am going to do everything on my own, I will make my own plan and I will make the stages for making the novel myself. So, here they are:

Stage 1: Making the "framework" of the novel. (The theme, a short summary of what is going to happen, etc.)
Stage 2: Adding the characters to the story and other elements such as: the setting, the time period, and the 
Stage 3: Adding details. (Adding backstories, other subplots, and more details.)
Stage 4: Making the actual story.
Stage 5: Polishing and proofreading.
Stage 6: Development of the cover (which I will do on my own) and other items.
Stage 7: Final polishing and proofreading.
Stage 8: Release of the novel.


You might notice that the steps are a little weird and you might even say they are wrong or that they are ordered incorrectly but hey, it is what I am going with. I am also planning to ask some of my professors in my English term to help me.

If I am going to ask my professors for help and guidance, I am going to need A LOT of help from my EGRAMCM (English Grammar and Composition Development) professor. Why? Because that subject covers this whole project. I have chosen EGRAMCM because it literally covers this entire project, and I cannot stress that enough. Can Technical Writing help me make a novel? Obviously not. Can Public Speaking help me write a novel? No way. Can the English Enrichment Program help me make a novel? Possibly, but I doubt that we would focus on learning how to write a novel. Can Grammar and Composition Development help me make a novel? A resounding YES because your grammar in English needs to be understandable in order for the readers to appreciate the story. Also, "composition," duh, I am going to compose a novel, after all.

Anyway, I was never thought of how to make a novel in high school and, considering that not a lot of students make novels, I want to be the first student (or the first frosh student in BSCS-SS) to make a novel in their first year at Asia Pacific College.

Let us be clear on one thing here: I am serious about this. This is not another way to raise my grades or something like that. This project is something I thought of and will make myself. Lastly, I am doing this for my love of the English language.

I want to prove something to this world, and to everyone I know, that I can do great things. That I can write a novel on my own with little or no help from my professors.

Writing a novel is a daunting and hard task to accomplish, but once I accomplish it, I am going to feel proud of myself—proud because I accomplished something. I do not see anyone writing a novel, and I believe that I have what it takes to make one. I have a (somewhat) good foundation, and I will further improve it as I am writing the novel.

Before I end this post, I just want to let you all know that I am considering on improving and revising an existing story I had—Terminal G. I am still not sure on whether or not I should continue working on it or if I should just scrap the entire story and start a new story from scratch. I have made a few stories, most of which are based on my interests, so it will be hard for me to pick one.

That being said, I am still in the very early stages of development. I still have not decided if I should go with an already existing story (which only a few have read) or if I should make an entirely new story. I really want to go with Terminal G because the plot of the story is unique and I like the originality of the story.

That will be all for now, hopefully by next week I am already on Stage 1 of the project. Just keep your fingers crossed and hope that this will be my best work yet. Thank you for reading and have a good day.

Popular Posts

3 - My Inspiration

30 - The End

26 - Our Best Is NOT ENOUGH